- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 c. sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4” cubes
- 1/4 c. golden raisins
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. taco seasoning mix
- 1 pkg. (2 sheets) refrigerated pie crust pastry, at room temperature
- 1 c. (4 oz.) Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water
Preheat oven to 425°F. In medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté pork and sweet potato until pork is beginning to brown and potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in raisins, allspice, and taco seasoning.
Unroll 1 pastry round on lightly floured surface and cut into 4 rounds. Place 1/4 cup of meat filling in center of each piece. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of Gouda. Brush edges of pastry with egg wash. Fold pastry over to form half-moon and press to seal. Use fork to crimp edges. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush each empañada with egg wash and cut 2 to 3 small slits on top. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden.